10 Ways to Strategically Position Your Brand in the Marketplace
One of the best ways to build your brand is to demonstrate your value to potential customers and showcase your expertise. Showing your expertise requires knowledge, skill and perseverance. If you don’t have those things right now, you can develop them as you move to position yourself as an expert. So don’t worry if you’re not there yet; you can get there.
Here are some steps to help you begin building your brand:
- Determine Who Your Audience Is – Knowing who you want to work with and help is very important, because you will be able to create better services, products, information and education for them if you know who they are.
- Decide On a Niche – Once you know your audience you can narrow down your focus to one problem your audience has. That is your niche. If you can solve a major problem that your audience has, you’re on your way to success.
- Develop Your Brand Identity – Once you figure out who your audience is, and what your niche is, you can start developing a brand. Is the brand going to be you, or is the brand going to be a business? One will always require your presence, and another has the ability to be sold if you choose to sell your business. It’s up to you.
- Get a Professional Website Created – It may be difficult to position yourself as an expert without a quality website. It needs to be professional and unless your expertise is web design, it’s not likely you can do this for yourself. The messaging, the design of the site, the images, all need to be created by a marketing or branding professional that knows how to make you shine.
- Set Up Your Social Media Profiles – As you brand yourself, you’ll need to set up each of your social media profiles so that your brand works throughout the internet. While each social media site has its own personality, yours should show through on each of them.
- Start Blogging and Getting Your Ideas Out There – Once your website has been developed, you can blog to show your expertise. Write your blogs directly to your audience to educate them about their problems so that you can start offering your solutions.
- Offer Free Downloads – A free download is a good opportunity to educate your audience and offer your solutions to their problems.
- Make Videos – Creating “how to” and informational videos and posting them on YouTube is a great way to position yourself as more of an expert.
- Write eBooks – As you gather more material, you’ll eventually have enough to put together an eBook for potential customers.
- Consider Publishing a Paper Book – Once you’ve successfully published an ebook, you might want to take it a step further and publish a print book. This will help you to gain speaking engagements and position yourself as an expert in your field.
Positioning yourself as an expert is a process. At first you will feel challenging, but everything you do builds on the next thing and eventually it will lead to true success.
What are some ways you have positioned yourself in your career or business? Tell me in the comments below.
Need help with your brand strategy, messaging or positioning? Check out my Brand Strategy Guide that will walk you through the steps to creating your brand.